Thursday, April 19, 2007

An Edsg25-style question

Edsg25 has often said that NYC is more preoccupied with its standing in the hierarchy of cities than anyplace else. He said that the "world's greatest city" title is a critical part of the NY's identity and without it, people may be less willing to put up with the stresses of living there.

I believe that Edsg's statements about NYC can be applied to the United States. We constantly hear in the media and in this culture about how the US is the "greatest country in the world". Many Americans think this way and automatically assume that the US is the best place in the world to live.

I just got back from Japan and I have been the Scandinavia. I believe that the crime, poverty, educational system, and uncleanliness throughout the US is an embarrasment. No other first world country scores so poorly in so many quality of life indicators.

I wish Americans would aknowledge that we are not the greatest in everything and that we have a lot to learn from the rest of the world. My visit to Japan was a real eye-opener.>

0 comments: