Sunday, April 29, 2007

Government Failure Continues With Katrina in New Orleans

We've heard these stories every week since Katrina in New Orleans of FEMA failure...it's been sickening and heart-wrenching to watch "action," reports on our local news channels. It's been over 11 months since Katrina...here's just another story.



Elderly couple waits patiently to move into their FEMA trailer

06:36 PM CDT on Monday, July 31, 2006

Bill Capo / WWL-TV Action Reporter


They lost nearly everything to Hurricane Katrina, and then one New Orleans couple said their efforts to rebuild were stalled because they could not get into their FEMA trailer.

Allen O'Gwinn helps his wife Stella up. The couple says once they get into their FEMA trailer, they can begin rebuilding their home.

Â"We been married since she was 16-years-old, and IÂ'm five years older than her. Right now IÂ'm 72, I think, I got so much on my mind I can hardly think,Â" said Allen OÂ'Gwinn.


Allen spends his days caring as best he can for his wife Stella, who has a rare disease that affects her nerves and muscles, causing her fingers to clench and making it impossible for her to lift her head upright.


Â"For one thing, I donÂ't get out no more, because I donÂ't like people to see me like this, so I stay in,Â" said Stella.


Stella and Allen lost their house during Hurricane Katrina and are currently living in his motherÂ's home, even though it has flood damage. The wiring was damaged, but luckily the air conditioning works.


Â"The electric is all messed up, and I was saying I hope this house doesnÂ't catch on fire, the way my luck runs,Â" said Allen.


Â"ThatÂ's why I sit in this chair. Because I figure if a fire comes, IÂ'm going to get in that bathtub and run water,Â" Stella worried.


There is no gas for the stove, or hot water heater, so Allen has to improvise for baths.


Â"One faucet is in the bathroom, and I take the bucket, put some water in there, and I heat it on that hot plate and do everything for her,Â" Allen said.


Â"My husband has to heat up water until he gets a whole bucket of water, for me to wash,Â" Stella said.


With help, Stella sometimes walks to the front porch, where she can sit and look at her new FEMA trailer, which has been sitting next to the house for some time ready to go, except there is no electric meter to provide power.


Â"The nurse said Mr. OÂ'Gwinn, you canÂ't live like that. I said Â'I know, what you want me to do?Â' I canÂ't do any better. I say I got to put up with what I got,Â" said Allen.


Eyewitness News contacted officials at both Entergy and FEMA, and asked them to look into getting a meter installed as quickly as possible.


Allen said once they move into the trailer, he can begin repairs to his motherÂ's home.


As for Stella, she just wants a comfortable place to live.


Â"It smells good, it looks good. I could have company over, I could cook.Â"

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/w...le.2da4e3.html>

0 comments: