Sunday, April 29, 2007

Can New Orleans become a truly great city?

In an ideal world, what should New Orleans be like in, say ten to twenty years to be atruly great city. That is ruling out a move up the river like dome people have suggested.

Well I'm an outsider and I don't want to be a smart ass, but it seems clear to me that some areas cannot be rebuilt, and the remaining areas should grow in density, improving street life. A dense trasnsport network of buses and commuter trains would be put in place covering the whole metro area.

On the whole I think NO could do worse than looking at the northeast for a model, as opposed to the Southern / Western urban model, oconsidering of course all her peculiarities (weather, geography, etc). That is, a truly urban city.

I also think NO should eventually shed her role as a theme park for drunks. NO's mistake has been in my opinion, to rely exclusively in the tourist dollar.
NO needs a real economy. That doen't mean NO needs to seel her soul or lose her character. Quite the opposite, I think her dependance on tourism is making New Orleans a Disneyfied charicature of herself.

And most of all she needs politicians with a vision as opposed to corrupt bureaucrats who see the dispossesed a s a cheap source for votes and investors as a source for easy money. God help her.

I would be particularly interested in hearing from New Orleanians.>

0 comments: