Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Why You choose to live in your city.

I've lived all over the country. There's a lot of cities I love. There are things I miss about every city I've ever lived in. No city is perfect. In fact, sometimes it's the imperfections that help shape a city's character. So, after living in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle I have chosen to finally settle in Boston. Why?

1. I can live in a neighborhood ten minutes from downtown that has a huge arboretum where I can run and walk with my dogs all day long. There's green space everywhere in Boston. Pretty much every neighborhood has it's own unique park space. The park space in Boston is called The emerald Necklace because it strings through the city and every neighborhood.

2. Public transportation will get me to every neighborhood within the city. It will also take me to most of the suburbs, in less than 45 minutes, where there are beautiful beaches and forests.

3.Every neighborhood has it's own character because of the long history of Boston. Each neighborhood has been shaped by early immigrants. They have all gone through major changes over the years but they always hold on to some aspect of every era. The North End is still very Italian and the restaurants are amazing. Back Bay and Beacon Hill are old and charming. Roxbury and Dorchester are gritty and a bit intimidating. But they're both beautiful urban neighborhoods. The South end is vibrant with its little boutiques and restaurants. The history of this city is a major reason why I love it.

4.I can walk from my house to downtown in a little more than a half hour. Downtown is dense, and energetic with new and old high rises all over the place. Downtown is right on Boston Harbor which is now undergoing great changes and a building boom due to the value of the land created by the Big Dig. Downtown Boston is really cool now with it's pubs that sit on old streets next to piers. Most of them look out at the skyline which really seems unreal when you're looking at it from a seat in a building built in the 1800s. Boston is going through a building Renaissance and most of what's getting built was thought out really well. Boston still has a respect for its older architecture but it has a way of looking forward to the future, as well.

5.The people! In general I love the attitude of the east coast. I like the humor, as well. I think there is a difference between west coast and east coast people. As much as I loved my time out west I feel more comfortable with the people on the east coast. I love the diversity and ethnicity of east coast neighborhoods. Bostonians are pretty dry humored, usually very intellectual and well educated. I don't think the rep of us being rude is true. But I will admit it's sort of an insider's city. It can be hard to break in if you're not from here. But a lot of interesting people came from Boston, like Edgar Allen Poe and Conan O'Brien.

6. Fall and Summer. I don't even need to explain why I love the Fall. It's New England! Summer, is steamy hot. Just like summer should be. If it gets too hot I can walk by The Charles River which is cool and breezy or I can be at a beautiful pristine beach in no time. OK, winter sucks!

7. The amount of culture Boston has to offer is incredible. Between it's museums, universities and music venues there is always something to do.

8. Cape Cod and The Islands. Beautiful in the spring, summer and fall. Cape Cod, Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard all are unique getaways that are close enough to the city that you could go for just a day, or a week without running out of things to do. If I want mountains or woods I can get to New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont in a couple of hours.

So, those are just some of the reasons I love my city. I'm sure could list more.

Let's hear what you guys love about your cities. Hopefully there will be no bashing of other cities. Like I said, no place is perfect and different cities fit different individuals likings.>

0 comments: