Monday, April 23, 2007

Question about paying for college

How to go about paying for college?

I have about two and a half years left of college, and my situation is that i'm paying all of it by myself.

Now, since I have practically zero dollars to pay for my own college education, I filled out the FAFSA to see if i'd get any grants. I ended up not getting any grants whatsoever.

What they gave me were Federal PLUS Loans and a minimal amount with the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford loan (~$2625).

Since my mom is not taking part in my college finances whatsoever, the Federal PLUS loan is slashed from the equation. the Federal Unsubsidized is about 1/8th the amount of the estimated college expenses for the academic year, so I definitely need more.

Any thoughts? Anybody have experiences with private (DEFERRED) loans? I'm looking for ones that wouldn't give me rates that would screw me over for the next 15 years of my life. How much of an interest rate does a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford give?

I appreciate your help.>

0 comments: