Sunday, April 22, 2007

Moral issues on NO looting

There is no way that I would condone the looting that took place in New Orleans and other locations hit by Katrina.

Yet I do feel it is important to put that looting in perspective.

Those who could get out of the area before the hurricane hit did. In New Orleans, about 80% exited the city. And while some chose to stay behind because they thought they could ride out the storm, the main difference between the 80% that left and the 20% that stayed was income: those who could afford to do so left. I would not be at all surprised that a larger percentage of white folks got out than what would have been true in the African American community.

For those left behind due to economics, the choices were not good (look at the disaster the Super Dome ended up being). These are people who are now without electricity, food, shelter, a bed to sleep in, the ability to stay draw or even cool off. And economics (and indirectly race) are part of the reason why.

At the start of this post, I said I do not condone the looting that took place in the city. I don't. But I do understand why it took place and what the conditons in New Orleans says about the equity (or lack thereof) in our society.>

0 comments: